All summer long you’ve been protecting your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays. If using...
RF Microneedling: Benefits, How it Works, and What to Expect
RF Microneedling, also known as radiofrequency microneedling, is a non-invasive skin rejuvenation treatment that utilizes radiofrequency energy and tiny needles to improve the appearance of the skin. This treatment has gained popularity in recent years due to its ability to address a wide range of skin concerns, including wrinkles, fine lines, acne scars, hyperpigmentation, and uneven skin texture.
Benefits of RF Microneedling
RF microneedling has a range of benefits for the skin, including:
- Improved Skin Texture: RF microneedling can improve skin texture by stimulating the production of collagen and elastin in the skin. This results in smoother, firmer, and more youthful-looking skin.
- Reduced Wrinkles and Fine Lines: The radiofrequency energy delivered during the treatment helps to tighten and lift the skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Reduced Acne Scarring: RF microneedling can be an effective treatment for acne scars by stimulating collagen production and improving skin texture.
- Minimized Pores: RF microneedling can help to minimize the appearance of large pores by tightening the skin and reducing oil production.
How RF Microneedling Works
RF microneedling works by combining two technologies: radiofrequency energy and microneedling. During the treatment, a device is used to create tiny punctures in the skin's surface using very fine needles. The needles penetrate the skin to a specific depth, depending on the skin concern being addressed.
Once the needles have created micro-channels in the skin, radiofrequency energy is delivered to the deeper layers of the skin. This energy heats up the tissue, stimulating collagen and elastin production, and tightening the skin.
The combination of microneedling and radiofrequency energy makes RF microneedling a more effective treatment than traditional microneedling alone. The radiofrequency energy also helps to reduce downtime and side effects, making it a safer and more comfortable option.
What to Expect During and After RF Microneedling
RF microneedling is a non-invasive procedure that can be performed in a dermatologist's office or medical spa. Before the treatment begins, a numbing cream may be applied to the skin to reduce any discomfort.
During the procedure, the device will be passed over the skin in the treatment area, creating tiny punctures and delivering radiofrequency energy to the deeper layers of the skin. The treatment typically takes 30-60 minutes, depending on the size of the treatment area.
After the treatment, patients may experience mild redness, swelling, and sensitivity in the treated area, but these side effects usually subside within a few days. Patients may also experience some mild flaking or peeling as the skin heals and regenerates.
Most patients will see noticeable improvement in their skin after just one RF microneedling treatment, but multiple sessions may be recommended for optimal results. The number of sessions needed will depend on the severity of the skin concern being addressed and the patient's individual goals.
Overall, RF microneedling is a safe and effective option for those looking to improve the appearance of their skin without undergoing invasive procedures. With minimal downtime and long-lasting results, it's no wonder why this treatment has become so popular in recent years.
What Devices Are Used in RF Microneedling?
There are several devices used for RF Microneedling, each with its own unique features and capabilities. Some popular devices for RF Microneedling include:
- Secret RF: This device uses microneedles to deliver radiofrequency energy to the skin, stimulating collagen production and improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and scars.
- Morpheus8: This device combines microneedling with radiofrequency energy to improve skin texture and tighten loose or sagging skin.
- Infini: This device uses microneedles to deliver radiofrequency energy deep into the skin, targeting acne scars, wrinkles, and other skin concerns.
- Fractora: This device uses microneedles to deliver radiofrequency energy to the skin, improving skin texture, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and minimizing acne scars.
- Vivace: This device combines microneedling with radiofrequency energy and LED light therapy to improve skin texture, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and stimulate collagen production.
It is important to note that not all RF Microneedling devices are approved for use and sale in Canada. To find out more about whether devices are certified for use in Canada speak with your provider, search the Canada Medical Device Licensing Database, or search the provider on the manufacturer's website.
RF Microneedling is a non-invasive skin rejuvenation treatment that utilizes radiofrequency energy and tiny needles to improve the appearance of the skin. With a range of benefits, including improved skin texture, reduced wrinkles and fine lines, and minimized pores, it's no wonder why this treatment has gained popularity in recent years. If you're looking to improve the appearance of your skin, talk to your dermatologist or provider about whether RF microneedling is right for you.